Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:26:33 +1000

Tim Reeves wrote:

> Umm... yeah.  The fact that he thinks this answers the question
> gives me *less* confidence that he knows what he's talking about.
> If he wanted it a perfect fourth lower, then \transpose does the
> job.  And normally when somebody says "a fourth lower", they mean
> a perfect interval.  If he wants it a variable fourth lower, then
> it's not doable without scheme.
>
> - Graham

Yes, a variable fourth, if you want to call it that - you finally got it.
This is like the not-so-helpful answer "You can't get there from here."
It just took about 20 messages to get to that conclusion.

Actually, there is a way, but it's just something to muck around with, and takes a lot longer than scrawling stuff by hand on a sheet of ms paper.

Mididings, the python-based midi router from http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/, includes a 'diatonic harmonizer', which allows you to add or substitute a harmony line at a specified interval from the notes being played, with respect to the home key.

So you could:

1) download & install mididings

2) save the following as test.py

# start of file
# harmonizer.py - example usage of the diatonic harmonizer
#

from mididings import *
from mididings.extra import Harmonize

# substitute a fifth above each note played -- equivalent to a fourth below, this only works upwards --, based on the D Major scale
run(
   Harmonize('d', 'major', 'fifth')
)
# end of file

3) start Jack

4) run python ./test.py

5) connect a (virtual) midi keyboard to mididings input; connect mididings output to a recorder or sequencer app capable of saving a midi file

6) run midi2ly on the resulting file

Merry Christmas!

Ditto.