Re: beam settings

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: beam settings
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:45:00 -0000

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Thursday, December 25, 2008 12:21 AM

On 12/24/08 3:31 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Herbert Liechti wrote Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:40 AM

Neil Puttock schrieb:
2008/12/22 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote Monday, December 22, 2008 4:22 PM

He sent me the whole file and the culprit is a PianoStaff, which seems
somehow override the score's beamGrouping. So, one cannot use
    \set Score.beatGrouping = #'(1 1 1 1 1 1)
but rather has to use
    \set Staff.beatGrouping = #'(1 1 1 1 1 1)
Then the beaming also works fine for staves inside a PianoStaff.

Hmm.  Does that mean that context properties set at the Score
level are inherited by the Staff context only if there is no
interposed staff grouping?

I've never noticed this to be the case; I think we need to see
Herbert's file to work out whether there's something else that's
influencing this behaviour.

I'm attaching the file. I already changed the beatGrouping from
Score to Staff context.

I've tracked down the problem here.  It is nothing to to do with the
PianoStaff.  It is due to placing a second \time command in the lower
staff.  Here's an extract from the score which shows the problem
clearly.  Uncomment the second \time command and the
beamGrouping override in the Score context fails in both staves.
Specify \time in only one staff and it works fine in both staves.

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \time 6/8
      \set Score.beatGrouping = #'(1 1 1 1 1 1)
      \repeat unfold 6 { \times 2/3 { bes16 as es }  }
    }
    \new Staff {
%      \time 6/8
      \repeat unfold 6 { \times 2/3 { bes16 as es }  }
    }

Aha!  This makes sense.  This is because time 6/8 sets beatGrouping to (3
3).  And beatGrouping doesn't live on the Staff level.

This probably becomes a documentation bug.

OK.  I'll fix the docs.

Trevor