Re: emailed lilypond pdf's printout missing note bodies on reciepent's c

From: John Mislan
Subject: Re: emailed lilypond pdf's printout missing note bodies on reciepent's computer
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:40:45 +0000 (UTC)

Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've had some peculiar things happen, even using Adobe Acrobat to make the
PDFs and using Adobe Reader 9 to view them. Specifically, when I've uploaded
files generated at 1200 dpi to a Yahoo website, and then downloaded them to
another computer (both computers running Windows XP), I've gotten a box around
each staff. This was using ABC format to create the files, and then using Ghost
to view them and sending them to an Acrobat printer. This didn't seem to happen
always, and I don't think it happened at all if I set the printer to 720 dpi. I
don't see how the dpi could affect the noteheads, but I'd say there are clearly
possibilities out there for conflicts between generators and viewers.Peace,Ralph
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM, John Mislan <jwmislan <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Guess I'll have to tell others to use Adobe - Acrobat or equivalent reader
> for PDF's next Time.
> Well that solves it then.
> Thanks again for your prompt response, and help on this .
>  - Seasons Grettings to All -
> JWM
>
> - Ralph PalmerMontague City, MAUSApalmer.r.violin <at> gmail.com

 Hello Ralph

I didn't tell my output to do any specific resolution - I just ran - the
'lilypond' command on them, and used the resulting PDF to send out to the
windows vista, and xp computer users. All the note heads had small boxes around
them. I wonder if their printer was set to too high of a resolution ??
I can't test any of this at present I have only, an old epson available to me
with up to 720 - but no 1200 dpi res.

I'm trying to get to some foolproof way to insure that my lilypond music pdf's
will universally print correctly. Telling recipients they should use Adobe
Acrobat and (not winword) for pdf's, and 720 dpi res. is a reasonable start I
suppose. There seems to be evidence of conflicts between generators and viewers
and maybe some other quirks for this behavior. I have seen from time to time,
similar complaints about the notehead boxes.
 Maybe some others have had experience with it - found some ways to avoid it or
other relevant insight.

JWM