Re: avoid slur help

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: avoid slur help
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 01:01:19 +0100

Am 26.12.2008 um 23:59 schrieb Graham Percival:
Well, first start off with a simple example:

\version "2.11.65"
\relative c'' {
   c4(
   \once \set suggestAccidentals = ##t
   cis d4.) c8
}

Hmm, it prints an error message.  It would be helpful to report
this to the bug list.

You know, I never know if those things are actual bugs, or simply due to my lack of understanding how the program works. I never know if what I'm seeing is erroneous output, or erroneous input.

Then try to make it behave properly:

\version "2.11.65"
\relative c'' {
   \override AccidentalSuggestion #'avoid-slur = #'inside
   c4(
   \once \set suggestAccidentals = ##t
   cis d4.) c8
}
…use some ugly hack with #'extra-offset and the Slur
overrides to get the output you want.

This is the point at which I asked the list for help. I didn't come to the concept of using #'extra-offset on my own, and a simple "try using #'extra-offset for the slur" would probably have sufficed to point me in the direction I needed (in fact, jonathan kulp suggested it, and came very close to what I ended up using as my workaround. I did get useful help. But, from our resident chairman of the not-warm- and-fuzzy committee, I got premeditated sarcasm that related to a completely different issue, and when I forced the point of how *not* helpful that information was, I got tons of examples of how my problem was *not* solved, and a suggestion to do something that had already been suggested and illustrated. So, while this time, our resident not-warm-and-fuzzy committee chairman did provide examples so we didn't have to guess what he meant, he still omitted the easiest part of helping which could have simple been, \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'( 0.0 . -5.0), instead of the wonderful instruction in how to properly use lilypond.