Re: \lyricsto vs. \set associatedVoice

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: \lyricsto vs. \set associatedVoice
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:24:22 +0100

According to my understanding:
If you use lyricsto or associatedVoice you needn't (possibly must not) add duration to syllables. Their purpose is to synchronize the syllable's position to the notes of a voice. Normally you use lyricsto. But there can be situations when in one stanza the rhythm of the lyrics is not the same as in the others.
In these cases we often use something like this:
\context Voice = "soprano" { c d e
<<
\context Voice = "soprano" { f4 }
\context Voice = "soprano_var" { f8 f }

}

verseI = \lyricmode { this is the first verse }
verseII = \lyricmode { this is the \set associatedVoice = "soprano_var" se -- cond \unset associatedVoice verse }

\lyricsto "soprano" \context Lyrics \verseI
\lyricsto "soprano" \context Lyrics \verseII

As you can see we use associatedVoice to make sure that the syllables of the second verse are assigned correctly.

This is what I remember. Though I haven't wrote a single staff for a year now :-)

Bert

james írta:
What exactly is the difference between \lyricsto and \set associatedVoice? The documentation isn't very explicit on this point, and I've come to situation where I think I need to use \set associatedVoice because the output is different from the \lyricsto output.

The important issue here is that using \set associatedVoice it works, and using \lyricsto it does not. I think it might be helpful to point out at least this one difference between the two.

Also, if I try to put the two staves in the same \score block, I get a segmentation fault.

\version "2.11.65"

instrument = \relative c' {
   \context Voice = "NumberOne" { c4 }
   \context Voice = "NumberTwo" { d4 }
   \context Voice = "NumberOne" { e4 }
   \context Voice = "NumberTwo" { f4 }
}

Text = \context Lyrics {
   \lyricsto "NumberOne" { Cee }
   \lyricsto "NumberTwo" { Ray }
   \lyricsto "NumberOne" { Eee }
   \lyricsto "NumberTwo" { Fa }
}

TextTwo = \context Lyrics \lyricmode {
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberOne" { Cee4 }
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberTwo" { Ray4 }
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberOne" { Eee4 }
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberTwo" { Fa4 }
}

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff \instrument