Fwd: Lylipond and space-time notation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Fwd: Lylipond and space-time notation
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:22:37 -0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: João Pais <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Subject: Lylipond and space-time notation
To: address@hidden

Hello,

I wanted to ask about Lylipond's ability to work with space-time
notation. That is, with notation that is distributed in the layout
according to a fixed horizontal grid representing time.
For example, here are some pages of Benedict Mason's Ensemble piece, for 3
metrically independent ensembles. The grid above in the page has a fixed
format throughout the score, so that each page has 10'' of music in it,
independently of it's coordination with the current metrical strucutre
(which is different in each of the 3 ensembles, and sometimes also divided
among each ensemble - pages 4 to 7).

[Note: the score I present is just an example. I am enquiring only about
the horizontal notation principle, and not of the possibility of joining
several music types with different metrics. Although information about
that would also be interesting to consider.]

This file was made in Sibelius, where all several laborious techniques of
"faking" and layouting were necessary to produce this score. In the end
result, it makes sense to say that the layout was 'imposed' on the score,
and not the other way.
What I concretely wanted to know is: is it possible (or in the future,
planned to) to make the 'real time duration' of the music to decide on the
horizontal layout of the score? For example, in traditional notation the
same piece is notated with the same layout if the tempo is 4th = 120 or
4th = 40. Would it be possible to make the score layout itself differently
just by changing the tempo - and with it the duration?

In case the answer is positive, did you also consider cases when the page
divisions don't match with the metrical division? What happens to bar
lines in the end of a system, how are empty spaces in the beginning of the
next filled up? And how is that reflected (or not) in the part extraction?

Best regards,

João Pais

--
Friedenstr. 58