Issue 714 in lilypond: let the .ly file specify the output filename

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Issue 714 in lilypond: let the .ly file specify the output filename
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:02:33 +0000 (UTC)

1. If you don't read this thread carefully, you might think that this has
already been fixed under Issue 404. Not so.

   Graham's update was to the effect that this has been verified as an issue and
is still waiting implementation.

   Han-Wen's comment on Issue 404 was that you couldn't fake what was needed
using output_suffix.

2. Could I ask the developers that maybe this should be implemented as

/outputfile "<the-filespec-you-want-without-a-path-or-extension>"

As the name is likely to get used for the graphical score out .pdf, .png etc.
and will probably also be used as the name for the .mid(i) file outputs.

Or would you want to do this with properties, e.g.

/layout {

    outputfile = "foo"

}

/midi {

    outputfile = "bar"

}

Just my 2p worth,

Cheers,

Ian

P.S. is there any way I could contribute to Lily if I only have a Windows only
system, or do you have to run Linux to be a grown-up Lily developer?