Re: 4

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: 4
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:11:23 -0700

On 12/29/08 6:04 AM, "James E. Bailey" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 29.12.2008 um 12:23 schrieb sdfgsdhdshd:
>

>> James E. Bailey-3 wrote:

>> The syntax g:4 is very logic. I don't understand why it adds two
>> times the
>> 4th, plus suspends then unsuspends the 3th. Looks like a bug to me.
>> The "G 4" display is correct, just the "/sus4/add3" is unnecessary,
>> to say
>> the least.
> Okay, it may be a bug, that I can't say. It may be intentional. But
> the easy solution, or at least the one I got when I posed the
> question was to simply redefine what g:4 produces. So, we redefine g:
> 4 to produce the output that we expect.

The chord namer (responsible for converting chords from pitches to chord
names) is certainly not perfect.  Nobody is currently actively developing
it.  The workaround is easy enough (add an exception) that the priority of
fixing the namer is not very high on the development list.

The chord namer is written in scheme, so it can be worked on even without
the ability to compile lilypond, so this task is available for anybody who
is interested.

Please file a bug report to lilypond-bug; we ought to try to collect all the
cases where the chord namer fails to work properly.

BTW, James, do you want german note names for your chords (h instead of bes,
IIRC)?  Your init file includes a line that sets german note names.  You may
want to eliminate that line.

Thanks,

Carl