midi keyboard input

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: midi keyboard input
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:03:17 -0500

(This is in Ubuntu 8.10 linux.)

I can use midi-input-mode in emacs to enter lilypond notes with my
left hand, and the durations on the numeric keypad with my right hand.

I can set up qsynth with jackd so that I get audio for the notes I
play on the MIDI keyboard.

But if I have the notes set up to sound, they don't get into the emacs
buffer, and vice versa.

I have done some playing with qjackctl and midi-thru and such, and
have not stumbled on a solution that would allow me to both see the
lilypond in the emacs buffer and hear the notes I play.

Can anyone give me a hint?

I know there are several other ways to use a MIDI keyboard for
lilypond input; I have tried some of the others, and this was the
first one I managed to get working.  If nobody knows the answer to
this specific question, but does have some other way to use a MIDI
keyboard to both see lilypond and hear audio output, I'd be glad to
hear about specifics.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I had to breathe more frequently (but take smaller breaths), but also
to use all the air I had in reserve, and not mistake the lack of
oxygen for the need to breathe.

Eric Haas (on learning Baroque flute after playing oboe)