Re: TAB question

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: TAB question
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:14:58 -0500

On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Johan Vromans wrote:
> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > Shouldn't the 'e2' be rendered without a stem?
> >
> > It would seem so, but what do people who know about
> > tabs think?
>
> AFIK there are two kinds of TABs. The simple kind just has numbers to
> indiciate string positions. This is used in ASCII TABs. Notes do not
> have length information.
>
> The other kind, as used by LilyPond, attaches stems to the numbers,
> just like ordinary notes. In the OP example there are quarter notes
> (with a simple stem), eight notes (with a flagged stem) and a half
> note that I would expect to have no stem.
>
> -- Johan

If there is also a proper notation staff, and there should be one unless
the user is either copying ancient lute music or engaged in some
criminal activity, there is no point in having stems in the tab. See
the banjo pieces on my site.  Remove engravers in the tab so that the
tab consists in only fret numbers and string lines. That is the default
in some typesetters, and it should have been in lilypond, because that
would have made good typesetting far easier. I found it best to
have two parts in the notation staff code and combine them into one in
the tab staff block. Clumsy, but you can't argue with results. That way
you have a fighting chance to see how it sounds. With this method, the
tab staff is nothing more than the orderly presentation of fingering.
necessary for banjo, helpful for lute, bad for guitar unless a variant
tuning is being used. Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards