Re: midi keyboard input

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: midi keyboard input
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:02:53 -0500

    M> Unfortunately, the link to Hans Lub's site (author of midi-input mode)
    M> from linux-sound.org is dead
    M> http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/uck/software/

I can send you the code I'm using if you like, which I downloaded when
I originally got the keyboard.

    >> I know there are several other ways to use a MIDI keyboard for
    >> lilypond input; I have tried some of the others, and this was the
    >> first one I managed to get working.  If nobody knows the answer to
    >> this specific question, but does have some other way to use a MIDI
    >> keyboard to both see lilypond and hear audio output, I'd be glad to
    >> hear about specifics.
    >>
    M> There's always rosegarden, the all-singing, all-dancing midi
    M> sequencer, which includes lilypond output, both as .ly and .pdf -- it
    M> should be in Ubuntu repositories.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  I do have it installed,
and sort of working, but I'm finding it very clumsy; certainly much
harder to use for this purpose than entering the notes into an emacs
buffer.  For one thing, I can simultaneously type in markup that
Rosegarden probably doesn't know how to do, like specifying some
accidentals as ficta.

I played with it a little recently and was able to record some midi
events and get a PDF of what lilypond and rosegarden jointly
interpreted them to mean, but was unable to find where rosegarden put
the .ly file.  But because of the previous paragraph, this is unlikely
to be the right answer to this question, although I'm sure there are
questions to which it's a very good answer.

It looks like there are rumor-based solutions that might be closer to
what I need.  I was hoping someone would say, "I'm entering notes into
emacs via keyboard, and here are the programs I use and the order in
which I start them."  But maybe nobody is entering notes into emacs
via a MIDI keyboard.

    M> Rosegarden's lilypond output is usually better than the hamfisted
    M> method of recording a midi file with a non-lilypond aware app, and
    M> processing the file with midi2ly.

I use midi2ly sometimes when someone else has transcribed something
and won't give me any other usable input, but I certainly wouldn't
do my own transcriptions that way.

    M> Hydrogen (drum machine) also includes lilypond output.

The music I transcribe doesn't usually come with drum parts.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.  Vergil

This will make a good story to tell the grandchildren, if we live that
long.  Conrad Translation.