Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:10:56 -0700

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM, David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden> wrote:
> If the spelling is related to the key according to the "chromatic scale"
> in that key, there will be lots of time saved in nearly all instances.
> The chromatic scale in C is c cs d eb e f fs g gs a bb b c. It can
> easily be transposed for other keys. The idea of an "official"
> chromatic scale in each key has been resurrected. See wikipedia.
> Regards, daveA

Precisely. I chose
    c cs d eb e f fs g af a bf b c
for C major, and changed the cs to df for C minor. This is the best
guess you can produce for individual MIDI notes.

More sophisticated analysis would require knowledge of all
simultaneous pitches from each voice, along with previous and
subsequent pitches in each voice, many of which would not have been
entered yet. E.g. a perfect system would spell an ascending chromatic
scale in sharps and a descending chromatic scale in flats.
Unfortunately, I think this would require the routine to predict the
future.

Andrew