Re: First Frog Task

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: First Frog Task
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:15:14 -0700

On 1/4/09 7:15 AM, "John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
> Le vendredi 02 janvier 2009 à 20:16 -0700, Carl D. Sorensen a écrit :
>> I've attached a file README-contrib.txt, which is an attempt at what one of
>> you described as "Frogging for Dummies".  It gives at least a brief
>> introduction to the key issues that I remember as obstacles when I got
>> started with LilyPond development.
>
> This is an excellent introduction!  I only have one remark: the sentence
>
> "There is no one-page listing of the entire file tree, and
> there's no table of contents or index for the location of the various
> files."
>
> is misleading IMO: there are about 3000 source files, so any one-page
> listing of the entire file tree would not be very usable, and ROADMAP
> lists what you should expect to find in each directory.  I suggest you
> replace the sentence above with something like
>
> "Any one-page listing of the entire file tree would not be very usable,
> as the tree contains about 3000 source files; however, "
>
> You could argue that most entries in ROADMAD could be elaborated with
> more explanations.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've changed it and attached an updated copy of
the file.

The relevant paragraph has become:

One of the real challenges when getting started on extending or
patching LilyPond is trying to find where the relevant program lines
are found. With nearly 3000 files in the source distribution, a listing
of the entire file tree would take more than 50 pages.  There is a file
ROADMAP that lists the directory structure and the kind of files that
are in each folder.  However, it's difficult to know exactly where the
program lines you want are.

I hope this is better.

Thanks,

Carl