Re: short instrument name setting

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: short instrument name setting
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:22:44 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 7. Januar 2009 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi Graham,
>
> > Use \tag.  It was invented for *precisely* this situation.
> > It should be somewhere in NR 3.
>
> I avoid \tag at all costs

Me too, but for more practical reasons: If you have many tags, things get very
complex (dozens of tags to filter out / explicitly NOT filtering out is not
possible!).

This makes score writing particularly error-prone, since in some parts several
notes might be removed by tag filtereing, while in other parts you missed
something, so all the notes will be off.

A particular example is the following:
I have a large orchestral score with lots of instruments, also e.g. two horns.
- -) In the orchestral score, I don't want any cue notes.
- -) In the horn 1 and in the horn 2 instrumental scores, I want all cue notes
(some are also from the other horn, e.g. the horn 2 score containes some cue
notes from horn 1 in some places)
- -) In the combined horn score (which includes both horn1 and horn2), I also
want all cue notes, except those referring to the other horn.

I tried to do something like that with \tag, but quickly gave up due to the
complexity involved here and also since it can't be automated.

One of the most severe drawbacks of tags is also that you can't use
keepWithTag if you have more than one tag (since you can only give one tag to
keepWithTag!). So you'll explicitly have to use removeWithTag for each and
every tag that you don't want. There is simply no way to say "remove
everything except those parts marked with tags A, B or C".

> If there's another (non-\tag) way to do the same thing, that's The
> Better Way™.

Yes, I prefer global settings (e.g. adding/removing engravers or changing
context variables) over tags, if that's possible. This can be easily put into
an include file and you don't have to list dozens of removeWithTag call all
over the place. Much cleaner and much easier.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886