Re: short instrument name setting

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: short instrument name setting
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:01:23 -0000

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:22 PM

A particular example is the following:
I have a large orchestral score with lots of instruments, also e.g. two horns.
- -) In the orchestral score, I don't want any cue notes.
- -) In the horn 1 and in the horn 2 instrumental scores, I want all cue notes (some are also from the other horn, e.g. the horn 2 score containes some cue
notes from horn 1 in some places)
- -) In the combined horn score (which includes both horn1 and horn2), I also
want all cue notes, except those referring to the other horn.

I tried to do something like that with \tag, but quickly gave up due to the
complexity involved here and also since it can't be automated.

One of the most severe drawbacks of tags is also that you can't use
keepWithTag if you have more than one tag (since you can only give one tag to
keepWithTag!). So you'll explicitly have to use removeWithTag for each and
every tag that you don't want. There is simply no way to say "remove
everything except those parts marked with tags A, B or C".

This is true, but you can assign more than one tag to
a music expression, eg

 \tag #'a \tag #'both { a a a a }
 \tag #'b \tag #'both { b b b b }

Then \keepWithTag #'both is the same as (the illegal) \keepWithTag #'a #'b.

But I agree it gets very messy very quickly.

Trevor