Re: short instrument name setting

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: short instrument name setting
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:45:29 -0500

Hi Cameron,

Yeah... \context is okay, I guess, but surely my way of doing
this---using \set short.InstrumentName in the appropriate \staff block
is the more idiomatic way to go. That way the definition is
*completely* removed from the content. It just seems more LilyPondish.

Agreed!
I always try to set instrument name(s) in the \score block (or a subcontext) instead of the content — I probably should have started by suggesting that to Chip.

The only place where this approach doesn't work well is with instrument switches, which are still unnecessarily complex and error- prone in Lilypond.

Cheers,
Kieren.