How to produce a tiny example?

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: How to produce a tiny example?
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:48:30 -0800 (PST)

Hello, I need to use several example (90% are tiny fragments) of music, many
times just 2 or 3 measures of some melody with words for my musicological
thesis.
I'ma latex user and I DON'T want to use lilypond-book, because it's too
difficoult to implement in LyX 1.6.1 (the editor I use) if one uses some
complex external-pass packages such for example BibLaTeX.
Anyway, I can bypass the use of lilypond-book by using normal lilypond. And
here come my question:

I can insert a Lilypond file in my LyX document, but it get it "as it is"
and paste it in the page. That means it will be as big as a page.
One solution would be to play with page and music dimensions and then zoom
in/out the image in the document, but this is the dirty way.
The best solution is that Lilypond could produce a pdf or ps file that is
already clipped of all white space, left, right, top and bottom.
I found an old post where someone explain how to have the vertical space
clipped with this trick:

\header{
copyright = ""
tagline = ""}

as well as
\paper{ragged-right=##t}
(or ragged-last=##t if the excerpt is longer than 1 line)

but left and right space is still present and depends on the page size used
by Lilypond.

Is there a way to have Lilypond CLIP all blank space around and produce a
pdf or ps file of the same size of the music written?
Thanks

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Software used:
- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond and MusixTeX for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies