Re: How to produce a tiny example?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: How to produce a tiny example?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:01:05 -0600

MonAmiPierrot wrote:
Hello, I need to use several example (90% are tiny fragments) of music, many
times just 2 or 3 measures of some melody with words for my musicological
thesis.
I'ma latex user and I DON'T want to use lilypond-book, because it's too
difficoult to implement in LyX 1.6.1 (the editor I use) if one uses some
complex external-pass packages such for example BibLaTeX.
Anyway, I can bypass the use of lilypond-book by using normal lilypond. And
here come my question:

I can insert a Lilypond file in my LyX document, but it get it "as it is"
and paste it in the page. That means it will be as big as a page.
One solution would be to play with page and music dimensions and then zoom
in/out the image in the document, but this is the dirty way.
The best solution is that Lilypond could produce a pdf or ps file that is
already clipped of all white space, left, right, top and bottom.
I found an old post where someone explain how to have the vertical space
clipped with this trick:

\header{
copyright = "" tagline = ""}

as well as
\paper{ragged-right=##t}
(or ragged-last=##t if the excerpt is longer than 1 line)
but left and right space is still present and depends on the page size used
by Lilypond.

Is there a way to have Lilypond CLIP all blank space around and produce a
pdf or ps file of the same size of the music written?
Thanks

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara
Software used:
- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond and MusixTeX for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies

Patrick Horgan and I wrote a program (actually a long shell script) that does exactly what you want, but it only works on Linux and Mac so far. Depending on your computer skills, you might be able to make it work on Windows using Cygwin--I've experimented a bit with this but I'm terrible on Windows and don't have the time to fiddle with it. I'm attaching the script for you in case you want to try it out. The main dependency is the netbpm suite of image manipulation tools, which is available freely for Windows.

Alternatively you could make a Linux partition or a Wubi Linux installation on your XP machine and run the program while booted into Linux. Best of luck :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com