Re: Long compilation times

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Long compilation times
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:03:14 +0100

2009/1/11 Cameron Horsburgh <address@hidden>:

> I'm wondering if a few people could run the file (below) and give me
> an idea of how long it runs. It's a 94 bar score that only has spacer
> notes, rehearsal marks and modified bar lines in each staff. (The
> intention is to use this as a worksheet for the paper-n-pencil phase
> of a piece I'm working on).

102 seconds here. Want the PDF? :-)

> The problem I'm having is that it takes a very long time to process
> what seems to be a fairly straight forward score:

> I'm running a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1.25 Gig of Ram. The machine is aging,
> but it should be up to this challenge. I've noticed scores compile
> much quicker on much lower specced machines, so I'm suspecting
> something peculiar to my installation, but I don't know where to look.

I'm running a 64-bits distro on a Pentium i7 with 6GB of Ram. (I had
3GB, but my opera wouldn't compile at less than 4).

(Yes, I've bought myself a nice Christmas gift.)

> Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong? Or is it normal to
> take 13 minutes to process a score with virtually no music?

If it needs to swap things, that doesn't surprise me. I think RAM is the key.

Cheers,
Valentin