Re: Long compilation times

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Long compilation times
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:58:07 +1100

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:29:14PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Cameron Horsburgh a écrit :
>> I'm running a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1.25 Gig of Ram. The machine is aging,
>> but it should be up to this challenge. I've noticed scores compile
>> much quicker on much lower specced machines, so I'm suspecting
>> something peculiar to my installation, but I don't know where to look.
>
> The exclusive use of spacer rests may be a bit perverse to process by
> LilyPond; is it faster if you replace all spacer rests s1 with full rests
> R1?  I think this has little to do with your installation.

Using R1 instead of s1 (and fixing the ragged-right settings):

,----

|       address@hidden:~/temp$ time lilypond score.ly
|       GNU LilyPond 2.12.2
|       Processing `score.ly'
|       Parsing...
|       Interpreting music... [8][16][24][32][40][48][56][64][72][80][88]
|       Preprocessing graphical objects...
|       Finding the ideal number of pages...
|       Fitting music on 1 or 2 pages...
|       Drawing systems...
|       Layout output to `score.ps'...
|       Converting to `./score.pdf'...
|
|       real    12m13.780s
|       user    10m22.640s
|       sys     0m2.062s

`----

There's a slight improvement, it's still an order of magnitude
longer than what everyone else seems to be getting.

>> Anyway, here's the file in question:
>>     ragged-last-bottom = t
>>     ragged-bottom = t
>
> What do you expect to get with these settings?

You know, I'm not sure! I think I may have been playing around with
ways to speed up compilation some time ago and forgotten to revert
them.

Given that the hold up seems to be in font related area, could it be
that I have a problem with the font set up on my machine?

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/