Re: stem length plus beam

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: stem length plus beam
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:10:40 +0100

The stem length of beamed notes is controlled by a
so-called subproperty of the Stem object. See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/The-override-command#The-override-command
for an example of how to do exactly this setting and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/stem_002dinterface#stem_002dinterface
for the documentation of what the setting means.
Unfortunately, the default settings for these subproperties
are not shown anywhere in the manual, as far as I can see.
However, reading the corresponding initialization file, I see
that the default setting is
beamed-lengths = #'(3.26 3.5 3.6)
beamed-minimum-free-lengths = #'(1.83 1.5 1.25)
and
beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths = #'(2.0 1.25)

  /Mats

Nick Payne wrote:
You can explicitly set the positions of the left- and right-hand ends of the
beam. E.g.

\relative c'' {
        \once\override Beam #'positions = #'(5.5 . 6.5) c16 b a g
}

There's a snippet in the documentation on manually controlling beam
positions.

Nick