Suggestion for Notation Reference

From: Lasse Rempe
Subject: Suggestion for Notation Reference
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:32:45 +0000

I have a couple of suggestions regardin the (excellent) notation reference.

In 1.8.1, the following is used as an example for text marks:

c4
\mark "Allegro"
c c c

Here the mark is presumably placed after the first note to give the appearance that the text stands at the beginning of the bar. In my opinion, this is not very "clean" notation, because the desired effect does not actually correspond to the logical structure of the lilypond file (where the Allegro is only specified _after_ the first c).

Wouldn't it be better to have:

\override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
\mark "Allegro"
c4 c c c

for this type of example (perhaps after first demonstrating that standard behavior without the "\override" line results in the text being centered). The same applies to the next example ("colla parte").

[In any case, I feel it would be good to have the above behavior, of left-aligned marks, documented in this section.]

It is perhaps worth illustrating that a mark can also be placed between notes, as in the original example, but it seems that logically this would make more sense to do so further down the article, where the text reads "depending on whether they are specified at the end or the middle of a bar, they can be placed above the bar line or between notes".

Furthermore, many of the examples seem to contain tempo indicators like "Allegro", which may give the impression (it did to me) that this is the standard way of typesetting these. So it would perhaps be good to write somewhere in the "text marks" section: "Note that tempo indications can also be typeset as described in [Metronome marks].", with a corresponding link.

Finally, the name of the "metronome marks" section (which is hidden a little bit away; I would have looked for it under "text" rather than under "writing parts" - would it be possible to add a link at the top of the 'text' section, as done for vocal music?) is somewhat misleading. Would it perhaps be helpful to change this to "Metronome marks and tempo indications"?

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to the really useful documentation by the way - it's always a great help! (And despite the above niggles, I did eventually find what I was looking for in this instance as well. :) )

I hope I was sufficiently clear in the description of my suggestions.

Lasse