Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference

From: Lasse Rempe
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:23:51 +0000

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Tempo indications should not use \mark anyway. They should use \tempo "Allegro" instead. (Mis-)Using \mark in our official documentation is a bug in my eyes.

For this \mark example I would rather use something like:

c4
\mark "enters the stage"
c c c

Cheers,
Reinhold
I would agree with that. In fact, I was looking for tempo indications, and first found the examples in this section. However, after I had figured out how to left-align them, I ran into the problem of having a tempo indication at a regular rehearsal mark ... and then found the section describing \tempo in the docs.

Would you consider "Menuetto" / "Trio" as appropriate uses of the \mark command? If so, these could perhaps be used in the example.

But even in these cases I would suggest that text in the \mark command, unless it comes at the beginning of a line (e.g. at the start of a piece) would not usually be centered over the barline it is associated to, but rather left-aligned. Do you not agree?

Cheers,
Lasse