Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:23:51 +0800

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:53:50PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Jonathan Kulp wrote:
>> I don't know.  This is definitely a strange example.  The \mark
>> command is meant to insert something over a barline, so maybe it'd be
>> best to delete this example altogether and reword things a bit so that
>> the example with "colla parte" is the only one illustrating this
>> feature.
> Agreed! It's very rare to insert textual indications between
> the notes within a measure (where, on the other hand, it's
> not uncommon to attach textual indications to a specific
> note, i.e. using a text script).

+1

Why the Mao is the first example in this doc section such an odd
case?  Jonathan, please change the first example to:
c1
\mark "something musical"
c1

(but replace "something musical" with whatever you think makes
sense)

Third paragraph: I see "this syntax allows to print...".  I know
that I've compained about this in the past to Valentin.  Jonathan,
please fix this as well.

> You might want to replace
> "colla parte" with "Coda", but again it's very hard to illustrate
> the usefulness of using \mark for textual indications if you're
> not allowed to change the alignment to #LEFT or #RIGHT.
> I'm not convinced that it's less confusing to avoid the use of
> \override and instead provide more or less irrelevant examples
> of useful features.

I'm *totally* happy with a snippet that does this.  But I still
think that we should keep the main text as is -- if nothing else,
it displays the limitations of the default settings.

Jonathan, if nobody's done this already, please add a snippet
saying something like "by default, lilypond centers the mark, but
this can be difficult to align textual indications.  The alignment
can be easily changed:
  c1
  \mark "blargl"
  c1