Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:12:06 -0600

Graham Percival wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:53:50PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Agreed! It's very rare to insert textual indications between
the notes within a measure (where, on the other hand, it's
not uncommon to attach textual indications to a specific
note, i.e. using a text script).

+1

Why the Mao is the first example in this doc section such an odd
case?  Jonathan, please change the first example to:
c1
\mark "something musical"
c1

(but replace "something musical" with whatever you think makes
sense)

I suggested putting the "Reprise" in parentheses in an earlier email, which probably got buried somewhere in your inbox. Does that sound o.k.? It's all I could think of that would belong in a spot like that and have structural implications the way rehearsal numbers would.

Third paragraph: I see "this syntax allows to print...".  I know
that I've compained about this in the past to Valentin.  Jonathan,
please fix this as well.

OK.

You might want to replace
"colla parte" with "Coda", but again it's very hard to illustrate
the usefulness of using \mark for textual indications if you're
not allowed to change the alignment to #LEFT or #RIGHT.
I'm not convinced that it's less confusing to avoid the use of
\override and instead provide more or less irrelevant examples
of useful features.

I'm *totally* happy with a snippet that does this.  But I still
think that we should keep the main text as is -- if nothing else,
it displays the limitations of the default settings.

Jonathan, if nobody's done this already, please add a snippet
saying something like "by default, lilypond centers the mark, but
this can be difficult to align textual indications.  The alignment
can be easily changed:
  c1
  \mark "blargl"
  c1