Re: Combining parts

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Combining parts
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:28:33 +0100

Hi.

> > My problem is that when combining the top parts as separate voices, it
> > looks rather messy and confusing.  I can combine two parts with
> > \partcombine, and that does give a much better copy, but it still leaves
> > the third part.  I know that \partcombine can only handle two parts, but
> > has anyone any idea how three parts might similarly be combined?
> >

> I think I need the same thing: combining 2 *OR MORE* parts in one staff or
> double staff.
> I need this for orchestral music in order to produce a simplified output
> such as "woodwinds" or "brass" staves instead of a dozen staves with 90% of
> void measures each...
> Couldn't tweak \partcombine but perhaps because I'm just a basic Lilypond
> user.
> Any idea?

I'm not sure that "\partcombine" is the best option. You could try using
"Voice" contexts, something along the following lines (for the combined
score):

%---CUT---

\version "2.10.10"

soprano = \relative c'' {
%  ... Notes here ...
}

alto = \relative c'' {
%  ... Notes here ...
}

tenor = \relative c {
%  ... Notes here ...
}

basse =  \relative c {
%  ... Notes here ...
}

upper = \context Staff = "Upper" {
  \clef G
  <<
    \context Voice = "Soprano" { \voiceOne \soprano }
    \context Voice = "Alto" { \voiceTwo \alto }

}

lower = \context Staff = "Lower" {
  \clef F
  <<
    \context Voice = "Tenor" { \voiceOne \tenor }
    \context Voice = "Basse" { \voiceTwo \basse }

}

pianoStaff = <<
  \context PianoStaff = "Piano" <<
    \upper
    \lower

%---CUT---

Then you can add separate staves for the instrument parts:

%---CUT---

recorderOneStaff = \context Staff = "RecorderOne" {
  \soprano
}
recorderTwoStaff = \context Staff = "RecorderTwo" {
  \alto
}

% etc.

If you need more voices on one staff, there is also "\voiceThree" and
"\voiceFour" (see manual).

Best,
Gilles