Re: Lilypond mini-IDE

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Lilypond mini-IDE
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:48:46 +0100

Am 22.01.2009 um 13:21 schrieb Jonathan Kulp:

James E. Bailey wrote:
Am 22.01.2009 um 13:01 schrieb Jonathan Kulp:
Johan Vromans wrote:
Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:
It looks _very_ interesting and I'll try it as soon as I can.
I look forward to your feedback.
Maybe the IDE could trigger the printing on M-x something by issuing
the lpr command. Sounds feasible?
Sorry, this IDE is *very* mini...
-- Johan

I like this! I'm not normally an emacs user but I know the very basic keybindings. I tried the script and it works very well.

BTW in your first email you said to start the server with "start- server," which didn't work, but thankfully your script's error echo message said "server-start." That worked. This is a really nice tool. Thanks for sharing :)

Okay, I'll ask. I occasionally use emacs for my lilypond scores, and what's the difference between this and the emacs mode? Is it just easier point and click support?
I'm not sure what emacs mode does, although I thought it had nice syntax coloring. When I open the .ly file now on 2.12.1 there's no syntax coloring. Does emacs lilypond mode have the constantly- updated preview feature? To me this is the nice feature of the lilyide scripts. I've never used point-and-click before.

Well, if you understand emacs, I'm sure setting up emacs mode is considerably easier than if you don't understand emacs. But it requires adding things to your ~/.emacs and setting up paths for emacs correctly, and site-lisp folders. All stuff I don't understand. But, once it is set up, it has the syntax coloring, some kind of auto- completion, but I don't know how to use that, it processes the lilypond files, opens pdfs and midi files. I use a pdf program that automatically updates when the file is changed, and I know that point and click works with it, but I don't really understand how to set it up, so I just turn it off. One day I'll figure that you. It's a nice feature. You click on something in the pdf, and it puts the cursor on that point in the lilypond file. For me, it only works if I use the lilypad editor, but that's so basic, I don't want to use it.