Re: control-points dont seem to work for tupletbracket

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: control-points dont seem to work for tupletbracket
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 04:51:26 -0500

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, Ricardo Teruel wrote:

> I think it's quite common to have curved tuplet brackets specifically
> for triplets.

Less common all the time, because it is a terrible idea. The player
can't tell whether it's a tuplet bracket, a legato (phrasing slur), or a
legatura (slur).

Much better is a flared tuplet bracket, which is better both
over or under beams or over or under stems.  The first use AFAIK
was in the Philippines many decades ago. Some autographers there
used straight flares:
 __
/  \

and others used flares with curvature:

\
 \
 (

It is a welcome innovation, For many years better engravers and
typesetters have used very thin lines for tuplet brackets to
avoid confusion with beams. Sometimes the lines are too thin.
Flared brackets solve the problems. Anything else is substandard, IMO.
The fact that flared brackets are not the standard everywhere is
evidence of my contention that there is no such thing as an expert in
music notation. See some flared brackets in my quasi
flamenco "Alegrias" on my website. Code to get them is in the docs.

> In any case I would really appreciate the option.

Of course you have the option of putting both the number and a
legato or legatura over a beam now.  It is no more ambiguous than
the ugly curved brackets I have seen drawn with a compass, and
much prettier.

> Lilypond is such a beatiful program.

and getting better all the time. Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique": http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html