Re: Lyrics spacing problem - overlapping syllables

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics spacing problem - overlapping syllables
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:03:13 +0100

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:
Now taking a second look, I don't think it's a bug, only a limitation of the lyrics engraving procedure: it doesn't take notes into acount, only resolves lyrics overlapping (when two syllables would overlap.)
Well, if the limitation leads to undesired output, then why not
call it a bug?

One possible workaround is to insert an invisible syllable at the
last note of the mellisma (or rather to shorten the mellisma by
one note and add the invisible syllable to the end note of the
"true" mellisma):

\version "2.12.1"

\paper {
   #(set-paper-size "b5")
   line-width = 14.6\cm
   indent = 0.0
   ragged-right = ##t
   ragged-last = ##t
}

notyOKriste = \relative c' {\time 12/8 a'4 c8 a4 g8 f4 e8 f4. c'4 d8 f4 e8
d4 bes8 c4 c8 d4 c8 a4 d,8 f16[ \melisma e d8 \melismaEnd c] d4. \bar "||" }

oKriste = \lyricmode { Ó Kri -- ste do -- bro -- ti -- vý, na nás vel -- mi
na -- las --
         ka -- vý, čímť se o -- pla -- tí -- \markup \null mme? }

\score {
 <<
   \new Voice = "cantus" {
     \notyOKriste
   }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "cantus" {
     \oKriste
     }

\layout {
\context { \Score
   \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
}
 \context {
   \Lyrics
   \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
   %\override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #3.0

/Mats

You should change the alignment of the syllable a bit (not to the left, but like 0.3 or some other fraction)

Bert

Jiri Zurek (Prague) wrote:
Indeed, my problem is completely different than automatic insertion of
extenders. Indeed, I want Lilypond that it adds some "padding" automatically
to the notehead whenever there is long syllable under it, so that the
"physical" extent of the printed letters of that syllable does not overlap with neighboring notes. If it overlaps, then it might wrongly suggest to the singer, that the syllable belongs to a different notehead than it is ment to belong. The left-aligned lyrics is not a solution (it is only a "dirty" solution)
since what I am aiming at is vowel-centered alignment in all cases (
http://www.nabble.com/Lyrics---align-first-vowel-of-a-syllable-under-the-notehead-td21600612.html as I suggest in another thread ). So, I still think it is a bug. If there is no disagreement, I will put this into bug announcements forum. But I will wait for a couple of days because someone can still come correcting my view.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering
        Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)