Re: \crescTextCresc... 2.10 vs 2.12

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: \crescTextCresc... 2.10 vs 2.12
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 08:35:47 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Sunday, February 01, 2009 3:27 AM

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:11:11PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

The docs for 2.12 don't mention \cresc or \dim.  This could (should) be
fixed now.

Rather, \cresc and \dim should finally be removed.  See the
message in ly/spanner-init.ly

No.  There was a long discussion on -user at the end
of October last year (What to do when \> and \< produce
text) during which I, Reinhold, Till, Risto, Mats and
Valentin all supported the retention of \cresc and \dim.
There was no dissention then.  None.  At all.  The need
comes from choral music which often mixes text cresc
with no extender (\cresc) and hairpins (\<).  Turning
the text style on and off with \crescTextCresc and
\crescHairpin is far too laborious.

But the change was not completed.  As often happens, no
one took up the baton and it was forgotten.  Now we have
frogs it can be easily done.  Carl has already set out
a very sensible programme of work.

Trevor