Re: Good luck, Valentin

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Good luck, Valentin
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:49:49 +0100

2009/2/1 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:

> IIRC it should have started at 15.00 CET, so the premiere is most probably
> finished.  I hope this was a great success and the two other will go well
> too.

Greetings everybody,

the past couple of weeks has been exhausting and has almost been
preventing me from following our mailing lists, but at least it's done
now. As John said, there are still two performances on tommorrow and
Thursday evening, but at least my work is done.

I think it has been quite a success indeed. It's funny and
straightforward, and both the audience and the perfomers seem to find
it amusing.

We had a pretty decent media coverage, and not one single interview
has been published without mentioning LilyPond and the special terms
of the opera's license. As soon as I have more time (any day now),
I'll tell you more about that (this very evening, I'm even advertising
LilyPond on TV!).

One other thing worth mentioning is that this project has allowed me
to demonstrate LilyPond power and beauty. Some musicians have asked me
to reprint their parts with a different layout, bigger staves, thicker
barlines, more time to turn their pages, etc; all of which I've been
able to do impressively quickly and perfectly; not to mention more
complicated stuff such as clean transpositions, clefs fine-tuning etc.
Several musicians have made nice compliments about the quality of
their printed parts.

As this opera is adapted from a comic book, I have included some
graphics into the score, and it has been quite pleasant to see the
musicians smile while playing, and to hear the conductor say "let's
start back from... hem.. well, from the little drawing that looks like
a castle".

I had originally created a font that looked like the hand-written
texts in the comic book, and all the lyrics were printed using that
font. However, since the comic book's author didn't want this font to
be free, I eventually had to remove it.

Finally, the table of contents was nice, and quite helpful for the singers.

The license I have chosen wraps together the GPL for the source code
(this way you may use any function, macro, PostScript or even chunks
of music), and a CC by-nc-sa for the "narrative work" (characters,
story, etc.), which has allowed us to "sell" our stuff to the opera
house. Since this license is copyleft, it will also cover any
derivative work such as the video recording that has been made, which
I plan to offer on the Internet, with convenient subtitles.  This also
means that the recorded music may be remixed, and redistributed in a
non-commercial approach. (We'll wait for several months, and then see
if we can remove the -nc- term from the license.)

In the meantime, you can have a look at
http://valentin.villenave.info/opera/download.html (in French)
and at the source code:
http://repo.or.cz/w/opera_libre.git

As for the title, I think that would be "The Foreign Affair"...; by
the way, I'm looking for a skilled translator to translate the
subtitles. (and/or translate the libretto into English or other
languages.) Whether you want to read it, translate it, reproduce it,
rewrite it accordingly to your tastes or needs, be my guest: this work
is meant for everyone, and I'd be really happy if it could have a life
of its own after my work is done.

Cheers,
Valentin