Re: libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:38:55 +1000

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
wing wrote:
hi,

i am trying to run lilypond under some application. However, i got the following error: lilypond: /usr/lib/mozart/platform/linux-i486/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version
`GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by lilypond)

Since i am a newbie on linux, i am not sure about what infomation is needed for
fixing this problem.

Here's some basic info may help
OS:  Linux 2.6.25.5-1.1-default i686
System:  openSUSE 11.0 (i586)
lilypond version: 2.10.33-73.1

hope lilyponders can help with this=)
thanks!

Best, wing.

Hi Wing,

I'm not sure what you mean by using Lilypond under some application. Do you mean you're using a graphical front end to Lilypond? If so, then I don't know what to do. If you're using Lilypond by itself, then proceed with following advice...

The first thing I would try is getting the newest version of Lilypond, which is 2.12.2-1. This is a stable release.

http://lilypond.org/web/install/

I suspect that you got 2.10.33 from the Suse repository, and at the time it was probably the latest stable Lilypond. 2.12 is much better and it's worth installing for that reason (and for the much better documentation), but it might also fix this dependency problem. If you installed Lilypond using the Suse package manager, be sure to remove it the same way before installing the new version. To install the new version, download the installer script from the Lilypond site to your desktop, then use the command line:

cd ~/Desktop
sudo sh ./lil[tab]

(tab-complete the script's filename to be sure it's accurate)

Press enter, then type your password and it'll install.

HTH,

Jon

Follow Jonathan's advice and you can't go wrong.

I too am unsure of your meaning -- while you don't need to compile lilypond yourself, the error you report regarding libstdc++ is typical of missing header files, needed while compiling applications from source code. This particular error could be solved by installing lidstdc++-devel from openSUSE's repository. But again, it's not necessary to do that if you install lilypond via the above method.