Re: Good luck, Valentin

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Good luck, Valentin
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:40:24 +0100

2009/2/4 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Great!  We can start integrating some of those into lilypond
> proper in the coming weeks.

Definitely. I'll talk more about that later.

> Glad to hear that the performance was a success, and glad to hear
> that you have more time in the future.  I have a lot of pent-up
> grumpiness... my team members know almost nothing about computer
> music, and very little about producing quality code.  I am so
> maoing sick of "research-quality code"... :(  But they're not used
> to me yet, so I've been holding back.  It'll be a relief to get
> back to grumpy lilypond work.  I've just about got everything
> sorted out here.

Aaaah, that feels so comforting! Graham, you have no idea how sick I
was, thinking you were leaving the project before you and I have had
time for our usual arguments... Now that you're not leaving anymore, I
guess I'll stop writing "Cheers" in my mails as a tribute to you :-)

> (in case you're wondering about me posting publicly about this,
> don't worry -- they won't believe that I've been holding back on
> my criticisms.  ;)

There are things only you and I can imagine :)

2009/2/4 Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:
> Success! The full score compiled in 3 hours, 6 minutes.  Ubuntu 8.04, 2GB
> RAM, and some kind of Intel dual-core processor. It's a beautiful score,
> Valentin.  Do you think this work would be appropriate for college students
> to perform?  We have a pretty decent bunch of singers here and they do a
> production every year.  Maybe I'll pitch it to the director.  They like
> comedies.

If they do, they should like this project (wait for the video, it's
really funny). The instrumental parts are tough, and would probably
require at least a couple months of serious work. As for the singers,
I've been trying hard to keep it fun to sing. The King is undoubtedly
the most demanding role, and your director should be careful with the
casting.

And of course, there's always the possibility of playing the whole
thing with piano accompaniment, or with a special arrangement.

> Congrats again and thanks for sharing with us. :)

This is the least I can do.

Regards,
Valentin