Re: \Paper syntax question

From: Padmavyuha
Subject: Re: \Paper syntax question
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:58:46 +0000

On 5 Feb 2009, at 18:46, Jonathan Kulp wrote:

Padmavyuha wrote:
I'm struggling (as usual with new computer languages) with learning the syntax of the lilypond language. I can't seem to find in the manuals or reference a clear explanation of how to set the left-margin value in a .ly file. The closest I got (or so I thought) was:
\paper { left-margin = 50\mm }
which is what the reference doc says, but it doesn't have any effect on the margin. There seem to be many different ways to trigger any particular variable, dependant on where you're putting it in the hierarchy, and I can't figure out how this one is supposed to work.
Help greatly appreciated...
- Padmavyuha

The left-margin adjustment works, but in the example you give it's a rather small increment. Try changing it to something like 3\cm and you'll see a big difference. If you're trying to make it go closer to the edge of the page, then you could add a horizontal-shift element to your paper block and adjust the value to your preference, like so:

\paper {
 horizontal-shift = -20
}

You can make it go right off the page with this if you want it to.  :)

HTH,

Jon

Thanks, Jon, but what I'm trying to do is set the left margin further to the right, but keep the right margin where it is - so there's space on the left for binding. As far as I can make out from experimenting, left-margin = 2\cm does exactly the same thing as horizontal-shift = 20. The reference doc says that right-margin doesn't do anything yet, so I guess I'll have to play with line-width and paper-width as well as left-margin in order to achieve my goal.

- Padmavyuha