Re: Colliding rests warning

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Colliding rests warning
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:36:44 -0500

I can attest to this. I frequently typeset guitar music that has three voices and for the inner voice, using \voiceThree or \voiceFour, I have to specify the vertical position of rests by using g8. \rest or b4 \rest, etc. If I don't, then rests for the inner voices are placed above voiceOne (if using voiceThree) or below voiceTwo (if using voiceFour). On compilation, I get numerous warnings of rest collisions, but my score comes out the way I expect, so I've learned to take those warnings with a grain of salt.

For now, at least, these kinds of warnings serve to remind us of future improvements to LilyPond's support of single staff polyphony (which is already more intuitive and easier to implement than in it's high-dollar competitors 8-) )

Dave

Robin Bannister wrote:
Nick Payne wrote:
I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

This comment in the rest collision source code might be relevant.
 TODO: look at horizontal-shift to determine ordering between rests
 for more than two voices.
So maybe you just have to ignore it?
Or do something like this  :-)
  s32
\once \override Rest #'X-extent = #'( 2 . 2 ) \once \override Rest #'X-offset = #'-3 a8*3/4\rest

Cheers,
Robin