Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:21:17 -0500

On Monday 09 February 2009, Tao Cumplido wrote:
> Yes, that's true.
>
> Actually I prefer myself to write D#°7 for full diminished chords.
> For some people it seems illogical though that D#ø should
automatically represent a seventh-chord and D#° shouldn't.

> I just wanted to point out that this is a common usage of the
diminished sign. I don't think there are too many people who write D#
and mean D#7.

In sheet music convention there is no difference whatever between Cdim
and Cdim7. Many people like you and I like to include the 7 to be
unambiguous, but nothing can be done about Cdim except to write
it as Cm(b5) if the triad is desired.  A minor 7th interval added to a
dim triad is Cm7(b5), the leading tone seventh, which may be cumbersome
but people are used to it.

C/e is much better than C/E, for obvious reasons, and Xx or Xbb or
bs or cb chords and if necessary any slash basses with them must be
respelled, because they will not and should not be found in chord
books.  Quick recognition is the whole purpose of chord names of this
type.  The difference between jazz chords and sheet music chords is
only in the accretion of cryptic symbols, of which the triangle is the
worst.  Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards