Re: Hello! and question about jazz chords

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: Hello! and question about jazz chords
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:09:56 +1000

Tim McNamara wrote:

On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:11 AM, M Watts wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:
I have not been able to figure out how to get LP to print anything like a m7b5 or a 7#9 or a 7b9 using \chordmode. This is difficult with a song like "Angel Eyes" which has a good half-dozen of these types of chords. Currently I am writing in those extensions by hand because it's just the simplest solution. Looking at the archives there seemed to be various solutions that seemed rather kludgy to me. It seems like I ought to be able to type something like d2:m7b5 and get that chord on the page.
Minor seventh, flat fifth --  c:m7.5-
Seventh, sharp ninth -- c:7.9+
Seventh, flat ninth -- c:7.9-

I will try those, thank you very much! <Checks, gets an Eø on the page, which works just fine> I would have never thought of separating chord extensions by dots. Can multiple extensions be set that way (e.g., c:m7.5-.9+)?

Indeed, just add away -- c:m7.5-.9+ works fine. If you don't like the actual markup used in the chord name, you can make an exception, as described in Carl's mail

I did not see anything like this in the documentation- did I miss it?

It is described here http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Chord-mode#Extended-and-altered-chords

(There is a *lot* of documentation and much of it has no direct bearing on what I am using LP for, so it's likely I've overlooked many things).

Yup -- LP is _the_ best documented project around.

Btw, please use your mail client's Reply All function, so that messages are cc-ed to the list.