Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond

From: fzimmerman
Subject: Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:09:50 -0800 (PST)

I've recently switched my main computer from Windows to Ubuntu Linux.  Before
this change, I was using Sibelius quite a bit for hymnbook work.  I am
contemplating a change to Lilypond, but before I invest large amounts of
time learning it, I was just hoping that a few experts who have used the
program for a while can tell me if it is possible to have absolute control
over lyric spacing?

With some of the hymns I worked on, an attempt was made to make every phrase
fit into one line of music, so as to keep the hymn on one page.  This
involved really tight spacing control, especially when four or five lyric
lines are involved.  An excellent example of this can be seen in the
following PDF, which I have tried to attach, and will also provide a
download link:
http://www.practicatechnical.com<nabble_a href= flowers.pdf
/files/flowers.pdf">flowers.pdf .

If you take a look at this file, you will see that sometimes to obtain a
good readable text layout, words or parts of words had to be moved to the
left or right of the note they belonged to.  At other times, hyphens were
ommitted, so as to save space...this means the word must be spaceable under
two notes.  It requires quite a bit of control over spacing to achieve this.
Sibelius allowed me to do this...can I do the same with Lilypond?