Re: Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:36:34 +1000

fzimmerman wrote:
Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have two other computers in the house that
have Windows on them (I run a home-based computer support business), so I
can use Sibelius on them if I have to...but I would rather switch to
Lilypond.

A very wise choice indeed.  The place to start reading for lyrics is:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vocal-music#Vocal-music

Lilypond's default spacing and alignment for lyrics is better than Finale and co., as described here
http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-3.html

Using Lilypond's \override, \set or \tweak commands, either on their own, or with \once, gives you complete control over where things go on your page.

By the way, my download link didn't seem to transfer properly. The file is on my website: http://www.practicatechnical.com. Type that in
the browser address field and add /files/flowers.pdf.

Just put the whole link in and send as plain text -- most mail clients realise it's a URL, and will take you straight there.