Re: Persian musical koron and sori

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Persian musical koron and sori
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:20:22 +0100

On 16 Feb 2009, at 23:35, Kees van den Doel wrote:

If you look at the persian.ly file I sent, you will find the
symbol for that I think (a blank).

On the other hand if you meant not the glyph but the input suffix...

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of word: as a musical function, regardless whether it is notated.

...you're right that I need to define
also "flat-20C", e.g. in G Ap Bb, with Bb 20C flat. I don't see why I should need something else
to raise an interval, can you show me an example?

D# E#p F-raised - I just added a sharp to your example.

I know what makes the underlying theory. Start with minor (resp. major) second m (resp M), which generates sharps and flats with interval M-m. Then add a neutral second: one needs symbols to get from m to n (example: sori) and from M to n (example: koron).

So each n generates a symbol pair. This has to do with the notation system expresses all pitches of the form p m + q M, where p, q run through the integers. By adding the the symbol pairs, one can also express p m + q M + r n, where the integer r >= 0.

If one wants r < 0, then one need another pair of symbols. This happens in Turkish music. The reason is that when one divided the perfect fourth symmetrically as n P n, instead of the Persian n P m.

So I just think of that theory, and know that some transposition will generate those symbols. They may not be used in practice, but without them, one may end up in a situation where they might be needed.

  Hans