Re: Drum writing...is there a way to save and recall custom commands?

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: Drum writing...is there a way to save and recall custom commands?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:53:31 +0000

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:13:55AM -0800, RandomLilyPondUser wrote:

> Thanks, that worked!  I am new at lilypond, so sorry for the basic questions
> (I did browse the documentation, btw),

Good for you. Most users find that the quickest way to get started with
Lilypond is to quickly read the Learning Manual cover-to-cover. This
introduces the basic concepts, like variables, so that when you later
come across a specific problem you can easily go to the right point in
the (more substantial) Notation Reference and quickly find the answer.

> Toine Schreurs wrote:
> >
> > You have to add drummode.
> >
> > snflam = \drummode {
> >   \override Stem #'length = #4
> >   \acciaccatura {sn8}
> >   \revert Stem #'length
> >   sn4
> > }

> for example, instead of the final sn hit being a
> quarter note (sn4), say I wanted to make it a variable to change, so writing
> \snflam16 would change the final note to a 16th note, \snflam8 would change
> the final note to an 8th note, etc.

The way I prefer to do this is to move the sn4 out of the variable so
that snflam just contains the grace note. That way, when I come to use
it in the music, I just do \flam sn4, \flam sn2, or whatever.

--
“I like talking to Rabbit.  He talks  about sensible things.  He doesn't
use long,  difficult words,  like Owl.  He uses short,  easy words, like