Re: How to control ordering of staves?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to control ordering of staves?
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:42:33 -0700

On 2/21/09 7:15 PM, "aliteralmind" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's an image of what I keep getting:
>
> http://jeffyepstein.com/tmp/staves_bad.gif
>
> I'm trying to get the "clap" staff above the "voice" staff. Can someone
> please help me understand how to control the ordering of staves? (I only
> want the clap staff to appear for the first measure.)

Don't put the staff in the definition of clap.

And you may want to use a DrumStaff or a RhythmicStaff instead of a Staff
for the clapping.

But the real thing is to make a parallel section of two Staffs and a Lyrics,
instead of a Staff with two parallel voices (one of which contains a Staff)
and a parallel Lyrics

HTH,

Carl

\version "2.12.2"

clap = \relative c'' {
   \time 24/8
   \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Clap"
        \teeny
        \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
        r4. b8 r4 r4. b8 r4 r4. b8^"Repeat throughout" r4 r4. b8 r4 |  }

bla = \relative c'' {
   \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Voice"
   \time 24/8
   \tempo 4.=80
   \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
   \repeat volta 2 {  b4. r b4. r b4. r4 b8^\markup {
           \italic \left-column \small  {
                  \line{  Quiet first time  }
        \line{  Loud second time  } } }~ b4. r4. |  }
   \repeat volta 2 {  b4 b8 b4 b8 b4. b b b4 b8~ b4. r4. |  }
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
  Bla bloo bla bloo bla dee bla dee bla dee bla dee bla.
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
      \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
      } {
        \clap
      }
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "bla" { \bla }
    }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bla" { \verseOne }

   \layout { }
   \midi { }