Re: display chords (Ami7(b5))

From: Grammostola Rosea
Subject: Re: display chords (Ami7(b5))
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:28:38 +0100

Tim McNamara wrote:

On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

On Feb 22, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

Hi,

How do I make chords with the 5th an half tone lower or higher (e.g. b5 or #5)?

for example

Am7(b5)

or

D7(#5)

I just asked this same question a couple of weeks ago. The standard way would be:

     Am7(b5) for two beats  =  a2:m7.5-   which will render as Aø

     D7(#5) for four beats  =  d1:7.5+   which will render as D7/#5

You can do #9 or b9, etc. this way. All the altered notes will be preceded by a slash except the major 7th, m7b5 and diminished chords which are denoted by a delta, diminished sign or half-diminished sign respectively.

There are other options for rendering the chords which involve setting up a file of chord markups. For more information, look in the mailing list archives for the thread "Hello! and question about jazz chords" for more details. The thread started 10 Feb 2009.

Thanks!

Yeah it would be nice if jazz chords will be improved in Lilypond, like it was suggested in the link you gave...

Well, the jazz chord rendering follows a set of conventions, just not the ones established at Berklee and in the Real Book. There's really nothing wrong with it except that it's not what most jazz musicians will expect (and the slash is a bit confusing- "is the #5 in the bass?"). But I've been handed lots of charts at rehearsals with the chords rendered the way LilyPond does it.

No nothing wrong at all. But maybe it is nice to have both (different) options to display the chords...