Questions before starting big piece. Pushing myself...

From: aliteralmind
Subject: Questions before starting big piece. Pushing myself...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:25:39 -0800 (PST)

For the first time, I'm stretching myself beyond just melodies.

I have some old six-plus part acapella arrangements that I handwrote, and
want to put into LilyPond.

I'm scared. Let's just say that off the bat.  :'  )

I'm going to start fooling around now, but I have some questions so I design
this well from the beginning.

-- First, the big question: How should I deal with parts that I want to
sometimes have on their own staves, and sometimes be consolidated with
others on the same staff? Sometimes two parts are consolidated, sometimes
four or more. Sometimes one part splits temporarily into two.

-- I would like to have arrows indicating when one part moves temporarily
from one staff to another (when consolidated) or back to their original
staff. Is this possible? Can it be done without having (at least much) space
between measures?

-- Is it possible to have a glissando with an arrow head at the end?

-- I know it's possible to hide notes, but is it possible to have a "..." ON
the staff, to indicate that "these notes repeat continually, but it's too
annoying to keep displaying them"? Perhaps this is just a case of moving
markup vertically until it interferes with the staff.

-- What is the best way you recommend putting textual notes before the music
starts? I mean recommendations and requests for each part.

I'm sure I'll have a billion more questions as I really get into it, but
this is a good beginning. Wish me luck, and thank you for the advice.