Re: Parenthesizing chord names

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: Parenthesizing chord names
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:47:38 +1000

James E. Bailey wrote:

El 01.03.2009, a las 01:12, Tim McNamara escribió:

A common jazz lead sheet convention is to parenthesize optional chords written over the melody staff. An example is a turnaround at the end of a song that is not played the last time through. For example in "Easy Living" the turnaround over the last two bars of the second ending is (using the default language conventions):

f2 aes2:7
des2:maj7 c2:7

Rather than writing a separate ending, I'd like to just parenthesize the last three chords over the final two bars so they would render:

F    (    Ab7    Dbmaj7    C7    )

This approach is commonly used in jazz lead sheets rather than writing multiple endings within multiple endings or adding codas. I've been plowing through the documentation and have searched the Web, which has extensive stuff about parenthesizing but nothing that I have found to suit the need I have.

You could probably just add the Text_engraver to the ChordNames context, and include it as markup.

Yes, this works, but I found that the markups need to be attached to the chornames with _ or ^, so you need to #'extra-offset them to get them on the same line as the chordnames.

If you try to add Note_heads_engraver to the ChordNames context, so you can attach markups to spacer notes, you get actual notes for your chords above the staff as well!