Re: Changing Staff organization

Subject: Re: Changing Staff organization
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:50:56 -0500

Essentially, it sounds like you want 3 staves of vocal music and one piano staff (two staves), but you want to hide the vocal staves when they are resting and ditto for the piano, right? Create a score with 5 staves, keeping the vocal and piano parts separate (rather than using the two piano staves for part of your choir), including rests (or skips) as appropriate. Your piano parts will have ~20 bars of music followed by rests/skips/nothing; your vocal parts will have ~20 bars of rest followed by their music. You can then put them in their respective PianoStaff or ChoirStaff blocks so they get the proper brackets. Then include the following in your \layout block to hide the resting voices/piano:

        \context {
                \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
                \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
                }

the first line in this context hides staves other than in the first system. The second line also hides the first system, but, of course, is optional.

Lastly, you will probably want to insert \break at the point between the piano and choir parts to have a clean switch. Since your example has this break mid-measure due to the pickup, use:
        \bar "||" \break
to allow the line break mid-measure.

See also 'Hiding Staves' (p. 133 in 2.12 manual).

Kris Shaffer
graduate student, Yale University
music director, Trinity Baptist Church, New Haven, Conn.
www.shaffermusic.com