Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:06:02 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> writes
On Mar 7, 2009, at 4:05 AM, James E. Bailey wrote:

On OSX, the lilypond mode for emacs doesn't properly escape filenames. open -a 'Mighty MIDI' /Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/ Choral Music/Windhauch/Windhauch.midi 2009-03-07 10:59:31.767 open[465] No such file: /Users/ jamesebailey/Documents/James

I'm having trouble making sense of what you are trying to do with this command and from where you are trying to do it.

<snip>

Addendum: I was able to replicate this bheavior in Bash under Terminal. The problem appears to be how Bash handles spaces in filenames. Weird, in this day and age you'd think that shells would be intelligent enough to cope with this. There is a new revision of Bash out in the past few weeks, which perhaps gets around this. I wonder if lilypond-mode is for some reason calling to the shell and running into a problem there; IMO it shouldn't, it should use the standard Emacs commands.

Errr....

Actually, I'd be rather horrified if bash was modified to "handle spaces in filenames". "space" has been an illegal character in most filenames in most OSs since the dawn of computing - it's only MicroSoft who thought it was a great idea - and the grief it's caused ever since is immense. Making shells "intelligent" is only likely to add to the grief.

It's bad enough that you can't predict the behaviour of things like "cp" in nix just by looking at the command - I don't want bash behaving "randomly" too!

(Hint - the behaviour in cp is dependent upon, not least, whether the target already exists and whether it's a file or directory. Every other copy command I've ever used behaves consistently ... :-(

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden