Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command
Date: 08 Mar 2009 19:11:11 +0100

"Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

> "space" has been an illegal character in most
> filenames in most OSs since the dawn of computing

This is very much not true. Not being able to deal with spaces (and
therefore banning spaces as much as possible) is typical for command
line based OSs that use whitespace to separate command line args. Many
OSs predating Microsoft could deal with spaces. Amiga, Commodore, even
ancient DEC systems.

> and the grief it's caused ever since is immense.

Again, not true.

> It's bad enough that you can't predict the behaviour of things like
> "cp" in nix just by looking at the command

It copies a source to a destination. If the destination is a file,
source get copied under that name. If it is a directory, source gets
copied into the directory. That's what everyone wants.

> Every
> other copy command I've ever used behaves consistently ... :-(

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_(command) .

But this is getting off-topic...

-- Johan