Re: problem with horizontal shift of note

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: problem with horizontal shift of note
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 21:25:09 +0100

Tom Cloyd wrote:
Well, I'm really really stuck.

I tried renaming \voiceTwo to \voiceThree: I got an explosion of "too
many clashing note columns" warnings, and NO change in my note collision
problem.

I tried sticking \shiftOn in various places in the program - beginning
of the voice, beginning of the measure, other places. No effect.

I have tried putting getting either in b in the upper voice or the a in
the lower voice to shift - I want the b to go to the right. Nothing moves.

No matter what I do - no note shift. My current version of measure 15 is:

 \shiftOn
 a-1 ^"[2*]" \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #2.0 b |

The b is still colliding with the a in the lower voice.

Any ideas?
I recommend you to read Section 3.2 "Voices contain music" of the Learning Manual included in the LilyPond documentation for the latest version, especially subsection 3.2.2.

Applying the ideas described there, to measure 15 of tenor voice of your example, would lead to

<< \new Voice {\voiceFour < e-1 >2 < a-1 >4 g |}
  { < c,-2 a-4\6 >2 < d g,-2 >} |

which gives the desired note shift and no warnings.

   /Mats