Re: Displaying staff/instrument name for ossia staff

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Displaying staff/instrument name for ossia staff
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:09:36 +0100

Neil -- thanks for your response on this, sorry for my late reply.

> I suggest starting the ossia stave at the beginning of the system,
> hiding it until required.  Then you can move the instrument name into
> position using 'X-offset.

OK. :-)

>> Second, how could I go about getting dotted barlines connecting the
>> ossia staff to the one below or above it?
>
> If you place the main stave inside a StaffGroup, you can change the
> default SpanBar using 'glyph-name.  You'll need to shift it slightly
> since it's aligned in relation to the left edge of the standard
> barlines.

This creates a bit of a problem because the main stave is _already_
within a StaffGroup, so the default barline style of the 'master'
subgroup overrides (or overprints, rather...) the dashed barline.

Asking to overcome that limitation is probably too much, but I can work
around it by rejigging the groupings a bit.  However, there is another
issue -- 'glyph-name=#":" has a problem that when the staves are not
spaced perfectly, there is a big gap between the stave and the beginning
of the dots.

Is there any other way of getting effective dotted or dashed
between-stave barlines?  I would have expected 'stencil to be the
property to set, but can find no examples ...

Thanks again,

    -- Joe